The orchestra was founded in 1900 by Ferdinand Löwe as the Vienna Concert Society (German: Wiener Concertverein). In 1913 it moved into the Vienna Konzerthaus. In 1919 it merged with the Tonkünstler Orchestra. In 1933 it acquired its current name. Despite a lull in concert attendance after the introduction of the radio during the 1920s, the orchestra survived until the invasion of Austria in 1938 and became incorporated into the German Culture Orchestras.