The original version of the group was formed in 1955 at Brooklyn's Lincoln High School. Featuring Neil Sedaka, Hank Medress, Eddie Rabkin, and Cynthia Zolitin, the group was known as the Linc-Tones. After Rabkin was replaced by Jay Siegel in 1956, the Linc-Tones recorded their first single. Two years later, Sedaka and Zolitin left the band; Sedaka would go on to make a name for himself as a popular solo artist, and singer-songwriter, during the 1960s and 1970s. By 1960, the classic group line-up was in place, containing Siegel, Medress and Margo Brothers Mitch and Phil.